Thursday, November 4, 2010

Bo-Kaap the colorful neighborhood





Bo-Kaap (means above Cape Town) was one of the place I had marked as the must visit for a photo shoot, and as it turned out it was a walking distance from my hotel. So early one morning, I grabbed my camera and walked up a steep hill for several blocks to reach this colorful, very unique area. I thought I would be the only one with the camera walking around, but several tour buses had already beat me to it, and there was a fashion shoot going on as well, so I took this opportunity to visit with the street vendors that were selling breakfast, and talked to a self appointed mayor of Bo-Kaap and it's welcoming committee until they left. This area is mostly associated with the Muslims who arrived in the Cape from 1658 and onwards and today's residents are the descendants of skilled craftsmen.

2 comments:

  1. Noriko,

    These pics are wonderful and so is reading about your adventure! I have not forgotten, just need to find time to sit down and call you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to talking to you.....

    ReplyDelete