Monday, November 8, 2010

Groot Constantia Vineyard and Winery




Groot Constantia is the South Africa's oldest winery estate (established in 1685)and is easy drive from Cape Town. After you go through an impressive gate you will come to the visitors center. It is a Cape-Dutch white washed building and inside is just as impressive. Here you can purchase bottles of wine, art, and you can taste wines for R35, about $5. I decided to take a cellar tour which was few kilometers up the mountain through the Vineyards. Once I reached the tour area I was told to come back in one hour because of the big private tour. But you know me, after talking to the manager, I was allowed to tag along, of all things, 35 Japanese tourists from Tokyo....I don't think anyone suspected that I was not with the tour, even the Japanese tour guide helped me find a seat at the wine tasting. How was the wines? it was probably the best, well balanced wine I have ever had... not that I drink awfully a lot..



More photographs can be viewed on my flicker site. Just click on the flicker badge to the top left......

1 comment: